Friday, August 29, 2008

I recommend - The Last Temptation of Christ


A sudden thought popped up after I completed watching the movie “The last temptation of Christ", which prompted this post and I’ve decided to share my experience everytime I watch an interesting Hollywood movie. I am not a movie buff and when it comes to English movies, I am always very picky and choosy. I don’t have any preferences in terms of the genre, but I love to watch any kind of controversial flicks. The one I watched was a movie of such kind, which was released in 1988.

“The Last temptation of Christ” is based on a novel, written by Nikos Kazantzakis and directed by Martin Scorsese. The movie speaks about the alternate history which says that Jesus was subjected to all human temptations like fear, reluctance, lust, doubt, depression, etc., The movie is totally filmed based on Jesus’ perspective, who was born and lived like a normal man. The main reason why most Christians shunned away from this movie was the portrayal of Jesus. They just couldn’t accept that Jesus had all the temptations, especially with Mary Magdaline. Female nudity and scenes like Jesus having sex with Mary Magdaline are too much for deeply religious people, which understandably created lot of controversy.

I felt that William Dafoe was a perfect fit for playing Jesus and his performance was the highlight. He has brilliantly expressed the fear and uncertainty of Jesus when he was sentenced to death. The movie is certainly not filmed the Bible way as it says that Jesus had a family with a lot of kids. The movie is made to raise eye brows and apparently succeeded. I disliked “The Da Vinci code” as it was boring and not riveting, but this one is certainly not like that.

The length of the movie is of course painful, but yet you can definitely watch it. I personally feel that all Christians, before they denounce the movie, should watch it once. Because, some Christians feel that there is nothing blasphemous about the movie.


Catch you next time with another interesting movie...


Cheers

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nallavan mathiri nadika vendam.....